Wednesday 24 July 2013

Wednesday 24th July 2013


I arrived in Hereford at about 11.30 in blazing sunshine.  If you are ever tempted to travel from New Malden, via Paddington to Hereford - resist!  It is neither scenic nor comfortable and there is no wifi on the train.  A pretty poor service all in all I would say.

Nevertheless, as I made my way out from the station to the cathedral I began to see familiar faces.  I mostly bumped into Fourth year boys as the younger ones were at the swimming pool.  I was soon up to date with the goings on at camp.  Who had been good and who had not.  The highlights and the lowlights.  Thus I wound my way to the Castle Hotel to meet Mrs Maher, the little Mahers and the other leaders for a spot of lunch.

It's really quite nice after a few days on camp to treat yourself to a good meal in a smart restaurant.  Our set menu consisted of Serraro Ham with melon and raspberries, belly of pork with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables, followed by white chocolate parfait with gooseberry sorbet. Yum!  There was also air conditioning and beautiful toilets.  Never underestimate the pleasantries of the a porcelain toilet!!

On the return to camp we had a brief dip in the river to cool off before stores were issued - sweet and sour chicken tonight, followed by custard and bananas.

As I type this blog, the sun is setting behind the hills, the boys are playing football or board games or writing letters home and all is right with the world.

We have planned a surprise army day for tomorrow which the lads don;t know about.  It should be fun!!

It's very good to be back......

SRM