Sunday 21 July 2013

Sunday 21st July 2013


After waving goodbye to the Scouts at the parish hall, I returned home to load the minibus before setting off with Ellemay in harness.  Elmer's role was crucial on the journey up as she provided me with sweets, changed CDs and answered the phone when anyone called.  At least, this was supposed to be her job, rather she fell asleep for the first two hours and I had to get on with it on my own!

You wouldn't believe how much stuff I bring down to a summer camp, but suffice to say that I had filled a whole minibus before departing.  My cargo included a knitted mini scout leader (essential for raft races down the river), a bike for a five year old and 36 cartons of creamy custard!  I wonder to myself whether it is not possible to buy custard in Wales, hence the need to bring it from London!

After listening to the greatest hits of both Billy Joel snd Elvis, I arrive at camp to the happy sound of mallets on pegs and a sea of newly erected tents.  In fact the whole map is already set up and I marvel at the industry of Nick Day and his team on the advance party - they must have worked extremely hard in very hot weather p my sincere thanks.

I get an update from senior HQ, a coffee from MRs Maher and hug from Bobby and Issy.  After this I call over the PLs and give them a deadline to get things finished up before a quick walk around inspection to make sure all is in good order and then a welcome first dip in the river.  Shrieks of laughter fill the air as the lads splash each other with freezing water and start to build the inevitable dam.

After the swim the first evening stores is called and soon the smell of cooking fills the air.  I eat with the cheetahs and enjoy a wonderful meal of nachos, mild chilli beef, lettuce, cheese and sour cream, followed by yoghurts.  One boy, who will remain unnamed, remarked that he always eats better on camp than he does at home!

The day finished with a mass kick around, which Bobby loved, followed by an opening night sing song in the marquee.  Prayers, parade and bed.  Day one is over and all is well.

This morning we awoke to a cloud covered sky.  A pleasant relief after the sunshine the day before.  As always, stores for breakfast are issued and I can soon smell frying bacon in the air. I have a lovely breakfast with the Eagles before calling the HQ together for our morning meeting at 09.30.  We talk through the day, discuss any concerns and then get on with the job.  They really are a fantastic team and I know the 9th is in safe hands when I step aside in September.

No patrol dropped more than two marks on inspection so all the PLs are happy.  We have a health and safety briefing in year groups on a rotation which cover topics such as discipline, standards, dangerous equipment, welfare, hygiene, etc...

After this we take an early lunch - Brie, ham, cheddar, Coleslaw, pickles, salad, crusty bread, crisps, fruit (yum) - before the opening ceremony of the Horner Shield and the first rounds.  The Jr HQ do a wonderful job with the opening ceremony.  Directed by Charles Connor and focussed on England beating the Australians to reclaim the River Mono Cup! All great fun.

This is followed by Mass.  Mass on camps are always extremely moving occasions.  It often seems to me that we will never build a church quite as beautiful as the countryside we are so lucky to camp in. It all seems so right to be gathered together as a community, in such a beautiful place, praising and praying to God.  For 45 minutes all on camp is calm and you can hear nature around you - wonderful.

We are extremely lucky to have the support of both Fr Peter and Fr Nick Hudson (the incoming parish priest at the Sacred Heart). Fr Nick said Mass for us this Sunday.

So after a wonderful mass, I had to get back to London as my new school doesn't break up until tomorrow!  I have already changed that for next year and I have arranged for staff to 'work from home tomorrow' which means I can get back to camp.  I have had detailed reports from camp though.  Given the extreme heat, day hikes were suspended on Monday for all except the fourth year, while the rest of the lads enjoyed some on site activities.

The day went well and all are happy.  after a packed day, there was quite some rain overnight.  The tents stood up and they awoke to a sunny Tuesday morning.  I await an update from Catriona later and will post something as soon as I head news.

Tomorrow morning I am back up by train where I will join the Troop in Hereford.  It's desperately difficult being away from them all and I can;t wait to be back tomorrow.

I will post more tomorrow......

SRM