Sunday 23 July 2017

Sunday 23rd July 2017



Despite a rather inclement forecast we have generally been quite lucky with the weather since the Scouts arrived. The advance party, in rather more adverse conditions, did a fantastic job and the site was in good order when the Troop arrived: marquees up; store tens erected; equipment ready for the Troops. It is a herculean task, especially in bad weather, but the ‘team done good’.


When I arrived some two hours or so after the Troop their tents and kitchen shelters were up and camp already seemed to be in full swing. The drive down was foreboding. Lots of fearsome black clouds and patches of aggressive rain storms made me worry what I might encounter when we arrived on site but Grossmont seems to sit in its own little microclimate. Apart form the odd drizzle the weather really has been remarkably clam and sunny. Indeed, I think we might have more concerns with sunburn than trench-foot at the moment. Long may it last!


Tonight I was entertained by Dominic Jones’s Lions. A fabulous dinner of Chicken Korma, rice, popadoms and mango chutney but you can keep bananas and custard. One of the delights about sharing dinner with a group of young people is that it is an opportunity to hear about the world and life generally from their point of view. I am sure that I was neither as informed or as interesting at their age. Though I did learn more about games consoles than I had bargained for!  


As I sit writing in the evening sun, listening to the magnificent Missa Euge bone by Christopher Tye and sampling a half decent bottle of Cotes du Rhone whilst looking out over the beautiful rolling hills of South Wales, all seems right with the world. Indeed, for all of us down here in this little corner of a foreign field I would suggest it probably is!


At our prayer service tonight, put together in the absence of Mass, we reflected on the benefits of living a life that is worthwhile. I think that what we are all doing down here is very much in keeping with that idea.


Goodnight for now. I will try to keep you posted on our progress every two days or so. 


SRM